Gilles Street Primary School recognises that understanding other cultures through learning an additional language enables cultural connections with global communities. The learning of a language develops student capacity in the General Capabilities of Intercultural Understandings and Communication and complements the learning in the other Capabilities as well as linking across other Australian Curriculum Learning Areas. Spanish is our language of choice and is provided to mainstream students from Reception to Year 5 for 50 minutes per week and 100 minutes each week for students in Year 6 and 7.
- It is the third most spoken language in the world - about 330 million people speak Spanish as their first language; another 100 million speak Spanish as their second language.
- It is the second world language of international communication and the fourth language in the Internet community.
- It is the official language in 21 countries.
- It is relatively easy to learn
- It is one of the supported languages of the Australian Curriculum