Gilles Street Primary School recognises that understanding other cultures through learning an additional language enables cultural connections with global communities. The learning of a language develops student capacity in the General Capabilities of Intercultural Understandings and Communication and complements the learning in the other Capabilities as well as linking across other Australian Curriculum Learning Areas. Spanish is our language of choice and is provided to mainstream students from Reception to Year 5 for 50 minutes per week and 100 minutes each week for students in Year 6 and 7.
- It is the third most spoken language in the world - about 330 million people speak Spanish as their first language; another 100 million speak Spanish as their second language.
- It is the second world language of international communication and the fourth language in the Internet community.
- It is the official language in 21 countries.
- It is one of the three official languages of the International Baccalaureate Organisation.
- It is relatively easy to learn
- It is one of the supported languages of the Australian Curriculum
2017 ¡Hola Amigos! Trial
In 2017 we are working with DECD to trial an innovative new approach to the teaching and learning of Spanish in South Australia. DECD is investigating the potential of online learning programs to facilitate language learning with the support of non-language teachers to facilitate intercultural understandings. We are a part of Mode 3 where established Spanish language programs use the online platform to extend/support learners beyond the classroom. We will be using ¡Hola Amigos! developed by the Instituo Cervantes used successfully in Canadian schools.